Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Forgotten Woolworth

There's few things more exciting than stepping out on a beautiful morning and discovering something you never knew about a place you've lived near for over ten years! Hmm, I don't know that this exact experience had happened till I discovered my local Family Dollar in Humboldt Park used to be a Woolworth store:


And this is soon after I learned one of the other Family Dollar stores in Humboldt Park (Division & Washtenaw) used to be a Woolworth! Both long before my time in Chicago. The Woolworth chain closed not long after I moved here and I visited several of the still-existing stores besides the one I already frequented on State St. (Logan Square, Little Village, others?). Maybe at some point I'd heard this used to be one, but it was still a shock to see the labelscar on the store Sunday. (I took these photos later; the sun was too bright Sunday).


Admittedly this more clearly shows the labelscar of what it was after Woolworth, but the L is in there! I hope I get better photos before they cover this up somehow. It's been a Family Dollar for several years, after being a day labor agency for a while before that and vacant for some time in-between.

2 comments:

Barb P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wretchedandbeautiful said...

Hi, do you happen to know of the locations of any other Woolworth's? My mom was adopted, and I'm trying to help her piece together bits of memories she has from before she was adopted. Do you know if there was ever a Woolworth's near Ashland and Wabansia? Or perhaps near there but closer to the Lincoln Park Zoo?